School Council 2022-23
‘Every child has a Voice’
Each year children apply for a school council position. They apply in writing to Miss Butterworth stating why they wish to be elected to the School Council. We aim to have at least one representative from each year group. The children then vote via ballot to elect the school council for each class.
What are the aims of the School Council?
- To make sure that our school is a safe and happy place for children.
- To make sure that children have a place to voice their concerns.
- To encourage all children in the school to suggest improvements.
- To make sure any suggestions or concerns are listened to and acted upon.
School Council Members 2022-23
Well done to all the children who applied to be a School Councillor. Each councillor was elected by secret ballot by their class mates. It is a very important job in School and the School Council represent the voice of the children.
- This year we have surveyed the classes to find out what lunchtime equipment they would like.
- We have worked with Mrs Langton to plan the Summer Menu together.
- We have also had a school disco and are busy planning more fundraising activities - we are planning a 'dress up as your favourite topic day'
- We also have some additional Jubilee celebrations planned.
What does the School Council do?
A School Council meets (with a teacher present – Miss Butterworth) to discuss and sort out problems and ideas. These may include school lunches, behaviour, business plans or ideas for fundraising events. Members of the School Council will be responsible for carrying out ideas that they have agreed, such as planning charity events, School workshops, meeting with Governors or other communities, putting forward views of other children in the School.
A good School Council is one that represents the views of the children and gets things done. These are some of the things that make our School Council effective:-
Good communication between Representatives and the classes.
Smaller groups (sub-committees) working on specific events or issues.
Do they get things done?
So far we have met with our classes and looked at how we can improve our school environment. We decided that we would like to get some fixed play equipment in the playground. The school council have met with 3 companies to discuss this and currently we are looking at plans and quotes for the playground.
During this term the children will be supporting the different classes with better understanding and using the Worry Wellies and Suggestion Socks. Our next initiative is to walk the school together and develop ideas for improvements and what we like about our school.